Monday, April 7, 2014

box of neglect round 3 - lipstick edition

Remember my Box of Neglect challenge? I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't, it has been over a year since I have done anything with this series. That box contains a lot of tough cookies that made me feel overwhelmed in picking out what to test out next. I apologize and will do better, pinky promise. I'll back up this promise by attacking the lipsticks in my box. I have about two handfuls of lipsticks lying in the dusty box, waiting to be played with so here is the lipstick edition, round one.

NYX ROUND LIPSTICK IN FRAPPUCCINO

Man this lipstick is a throwback. Remember when NYX round lipsticks were all the rage? I bought this in the beginning stages of my obsession with makeup. I don't remember why I picked this particular shade, probably because someone on YouTube I followed at the time recommended it. Anyway, I have never worn this out of the house. I have only applied it on a Saturday and pranced around the apartment all day to get a feel for it. It is one of those mature, browny shades that I find outdated. It isn't exactly unflattering but it also isn't the best shade for me. The NYX round lipsticks are very creamy and slippy so application is easy and hydrating, however, this causes the lasting power to be weak.

SWATCHES

L to R: NYX Frappuccino, NYX Thalia, MAC Blankety, Revlon Mauve it Over

I think Frappuccino would be most flattering on olive skinned or deeper toned ladies as it would look like a natural nude without the corpse look. For us people on the paler side it looks very mature; office appropriate and non offensive. I thought it would be most similar to Revlon Mauve it Over but it is actually darker and more terracotta. NYX Thalia is more mauve and less brown. MAC Blankety is not even similar as it is paler and has no trace of red in it.

It should say something that I completely forgot about this lipstick's existence in my collection. It isn't a horrible shade but it is one that I can't see myself reaching for often or even a shade I would be in the mood to wear. Back in the BOX it goes.

RIMMEL BIRTHDAY SUIT

When I look at this lipstick now I can't help but wonder what the hell I was thinking when I bought it. It is the weirdest and most unflattering shade for me. It looks like the type of shade you would get as a cheap GWP. I remember I distinctly bought this because of Holly Ann Aeree when she was first starting out. She mentioned it was one of her top nude lipsticks. Ahh to be naive and just buy something because it's flattering on a YouTuber that does not have similar skin tones to you. This is my only Rimmel lipstick and probably the last since I dislike the formula very much. It doesn't glide on easily and accentuates dryness, as you can see in the above picture.

SWATCHES

L to R: Rimmel Birthday Suit, Revlon Nude Attitude, Revlon Soft Nude, Dior Incognito

Thankfully I seemed to learn my lesson by not going out and buying anything similar to this shade. It is an almost bronze brown in comparison to the other nudes I have. Another shade I completely forgot I owned. It won't be missed. BOX

MAYBELLINE PINK PLEASE

Maybelline does surprisingly well when it comes to lipsticks. They are creamy without being too messy and feel very comfortable. Pink Please was another Holly Ann Aeree pushed purchase but luckily for me this one works. One of those nice, soft medium pinks that works on almost everyone. I like the satiny finish.

SWATCHES

L to R: Maybelline Pink Please, Maybelline Born With It, MAC Angel, NARS Mayflower

I thought for sure this was going to be almost the same shade as MAC Angel but it isn't as pasel, it is also darker with a richer payoff. Born With It is sheerer and paler. NARS Mayflower is rosier and sheerer. I think I'll keep this one around, it photographs nicely and wears comfortably. I was pleasantly surprised I didn't own a shade similar to it seeing as it is a fairly non-unique shade. DRAWER

TOTALS THIS ROUND:
BOX: 2
DRAWER: 1

TOTAL SO FAR:
BOX:10
DRAWER: 6
TOSS: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment